Friday, January 30, 2015

A Brief History of Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership

JPFO served a function matched by no other group in the freedom struggle, mobilizing a constituency that up to that point lacked voice. Oddly enough, it resonated as loudly with Gentiles as with Jews, a point that surprised Aaron but one he took in stride. He happily accepted any support in the quintessential battle that would never again allow government—or anyone—to attempt to wipe out His People—or anyone. [More]
How we got from there to here.  This is really a good behind-the-scenes narrative.

I am painfully aware of some friends who do not accept the new "here."  I can tell you this much from discussions I am not at liberty to share in detail: This came from the heart of Alan Korwin and those he credited with assistance. It was not directed and controlled and finessed from "on high."

I do see one assertion I expect to be contested:
Some of the writers, apparently led by Claire Wolfe, considered taking the group over, but they lacked the resources to do so.
I do not have specific knowledge of what that entailed or what resources were on the table. I won't be surprised to hear more on that from The Zelman Partisans, and if a rebuttal is presented there, I'll make sure and link to it from WarOnGuns.

-----

This is tangentially-related, but it's not part of my promotion of Korwin's piece, so I'm fine-printing it to set it apart:

There's one other personal note I think it's important to add -- In group discussion, I requested clarification if there is any topic I am prohibited from writing about for JPFO, or any desire to pre-approve or censor what I say. Alan Gottlieb assured me I am free to continue as I have been since before the merger took place. Naturally, I would not abuse that with an attack against the group or any of its leaders, or anything that runs counter to the mission and principles of JPFO, and expect it to be posted on their website -- If I feel that strongly, it will be time for me to leave and do the criticizing from my own house, not theirs.

I've seen comments posted around that my association with JPFO could make people perceive me as being a "sellout," particularly since I have not joined in on some of the more scathing criticisms of Gottlieb, some leveled by good friends of mine.  If anyone is dishonest or dumb enough to buy into that, I can't get too worked up over it, because that type attacks me all the time. Anybody who thinks I do this to be popular hasn't been paying attention.  I have some big differences with Alan, and he knows about them (my friend Dave Workman and I are polar opposites on this, for instance), and I'd have written about what I consider to be a "new paradigm" this week except the breaking Dobyns story and another tip I'm tracking down requiring immediate attention and focus.

I'll disagree with anybody when I think an alternative voice merits being heard. If that means it makes people -- any people -- want to have nothing to do with me, so be it.

UPDATE: Claire Wolfe comments.

UPDATE: And again.

3 comments:

Bear said...

True, I'm one of those who disapproves of what happened to JPFO; but for the record I do not consider you a "sellout" for continuing your work with them. Aside from the "any chair in a bar fight" aspect, I do consider you (and Hofmann) JPFO's canaries in the coal mine: When your principles drive you to quit, I'll know that my worst predictions came true.

MamaLiberty said...

I can live with that, Bear. In fact, I'll join you. :)

Claire Wolfe said...

David, I join Bear and MamaLiberty. Anybody who calls you a sellout is dead WRONG. I have the highest regard for you, Kurt, and Chris (the three who stayed with JPFO) and I can't even imagine doubting your integrity. Anybody who says otherwise can come talk to me.

On the subject of Alan's JPFO "history," it is revisionism of the most Orwellian sort. I'm not going to rebut it because I tried rebutting any number of carefully placed lies at the time of the sellout and it was a futile effort. Life is too short. I'm done with lies and liars.

However, since you mention the bit about the alleged lack of funding, I'll say that that's hogwash. We had not just one but TWO existing corporate JPFO sponsors ready to put up sufficient money to keep JPFO independent. We also had a plan for dramatically reducing overhead to ensure its survival.

Unfortunately the JPFO board would simply not consider anything we had to say. One of the people Alan praises so highly even went so far as to pretend that we'd never even approached them.

The entire transaction was conducted with total contempt for JPFO's members and contributors, and with an appalling lack of ethics bolstered by disinformation fed to compliant writers in the gun media.

We former JPFO people started The Zelman Partisans on a shoestring, not leaning hard on either of the benefactors who tried earlier to help us save JPFO. But they're still there and when we're ready to grow, they'll be standing by for us -- and for the hardcore, uncompromising message of gun rights.

Thanks for the opportunity to comment.